maanantai 16. joulukuuta 2013

My second computer

I haven't forgotten my blog (I can't believe its almost three months since my last message). I've simply been too busy to even answer emails so writing a blog was not possible. Believe it or not, I'm writing this first on a paper because I don't have time to write it at home. Of course I'll have to type all this to computer but I hope it will take less time than typing while thinking what to write.

This is a good time to write about my second computer. I had to sell my Trifunic XT and 8-bit Nintendo but instead of buying a new computer, I bought little used SNES! I don't remember where I got the money for the Commodore 286 (I never sold the SNES) but I bought it quite soon after the SNES.

I remember the Commodore specs very well but I do not remember the model, and no, I sadly don't have any picture of this computer either.

The specs were:
  • 286 12 MHz
  • 1 MB RAM
  • Integrated Paradise VGA (PVGA1A)
  • 40 MB Quantum ProDrive 40AT
  • 3,5" and 5,25" HD Floppy Drives

I've always regretted that I gave away all my 5,25" floppies with Trifunic XT. 5,25" floppies eventually proved to be more reliable. No wonder since less data is stored on a larger area. And I like the look, fell and sound of 5,25" floppies more than 3,5" disks.

What about monitor? That was greyscale IBM VGA. There is a small story behind it. I bought the Commodore from a small store selling new and used computers. On the same street there was another store like it. It was called Visiotek. Over the years many small computer stores born and died but Visiotek remained longer than any of the other stores I used to visit. Visiotek was never the cheapest but it had largest amount of used computers and items. Even as late as 2002 I bought a nice 486 system from there (that became what is now my gaming 486). Three years later you couldn't get anything older than Pentium 2 or 3 from there (it is very surprising that they even sold 486 systems as late as 2002). Maybe internet with cheap online stores, auction sites etc was too much but it was sad to see Visiotek wither away.

But back to the greyscale IBM VGA. It cost 400 Finnish Mark and I think so did the Commodore (very close anyway). I carried them to bus station that was nearby. First I carried the Commodore on a bag over a short distance and then the monitor (and so on).

I suppose I'm one of the few that has used greyscale VGA monitor for gaming. My cousin once asked why since my previous computer had color display (CGA). The greyscale VGA is without a doubt an improvement over the CGA. There are only a handful of games where I missed the CGA colors and those games mostly were CGA only games with well selected colors. Greyscale VGA allowed me to play all those EGA and VGA games I always wanted.

There are limitations with greyscale VGA. VGA can display 256 colors simultaneously. Each color has 6 bits for red, green and blue each, so full palette is 18 bits or 262,144 colors. But greyscale VGA monitor has only one beam, not three. So it can only display 64 (6 bits) shades of gray (black and white included). VGA BIOS is wise. It detects (or should detect, at least it can be forced by software) greyscale monitor and enables algorithm called greyscale summing. It is a technique for making sure that monitor displays as many different shades as possible, or more properly makes sure completely different colors are not displayed as same gray.

Many games do not use BIOS for setting colors (they write directly to VGA registers) and it causes a problem. For example some shades of red and blue turn out to be the same dark grey when greyscale summing is not used. Many Sierra games have driver for greyscale VGA monitors and it does the summing. Graphics look much better when the greyscale driver is used.

I didn't have the greyscale VGA for long. It was replaced with IBM Color VGA. Externally it looked identical to the greyscale VGA monitor. I'll tell more about it in my next blog entry and also about my first sound card.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti